Friday 2 May 2014

The joys of carp on fly

I must confess that I have been catching a lot more bass than carp on fly in the last two years. The reasons are that I have more access to fish-able bass water at the moment, but whenever I can go for carp on fly it really warms my heart and gets the blood pumping. I fished a few private farm lakes with a freind about a month ago and the fishing was fantastic.


It is amazing how the technique, although rusty never goes away. The water in the two lakes that we fished was not on the clear side with one actually being pea green, but by casting my size 8 carp fritz fly over bubbles caused by feeding fish in water less that 1.5meters deep and by using a yarn indicator  I managed to catch over a dozen carp. Mission accomplished....

The biggest was about 3kg in weight and on my 5 weight TFO rod went off like a steam train... The takes in the first lake where very positive with the indicator just sailing under. I call this technique bubble bashing. Usually the indicator will twitch once or twice to indicate  take. The dirty water was great because it meant less carp spooking as long as I walked softly and cast onto the water gently. For more info on this technique and others that I have developed over the last two decades, check out my E book and DVD at http://seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment