Saturday 28 June 2014

Di 7 sinking line secrets

One line that I consider to be esential in my fly fishing arsenal is the DI 7 fast sinking line. I use it for everything from still water trout fishing, bass fishing in the winter and sometimes in the summer, stalking sandsharks, fishing in the surf, fishing for snoek and yellowtail and fishing for tigerfish.


Di 7 sinking lines are expensive and so here is a little known secret. I own an 8 weight, 6 weight and 5 weight fly rod and use the same 7 weight Di 7 line on all of them. Fast sinking fly lines are thin in diameter and very dense. You can cast a 5 weight D i 7 line just as easily on a 8 weight rod as you can cast a 7 weight  Di 7 on a 5 weight. I first bought the Di7 line for a tigerfish trip in Zambia many years ago. I bought the Airflo version. It is still going and still looks and casts like new. I tried the 7 weight line on my 6 weight rod when I got back from my trip and it just worked and worked well. Then I tried it on my 5 weight and same story. I have even cast it successfully on a 10 weight.


So if you want to buy a Di 7 line, buy a 7 weight and it will work on a wide variety of rods. The same cannot be said for floating fly lines. Always use a line that matches your fly rod rating or a line weight up. For my 5 weight rod I use a 6 weight floating fly line for easy loading at close to medium ranges.

For awesome DVDs and E books by Sean Mills, check out seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment