Wednesday 7 August 2013

Back on the Eerste with a Tenkara

Picture
On Friday I managed to sneak out for 3 hours to the Eerste River in Stellenbosch again to try out my trusty Tenkara rod. The river was clearer and higher, both good things... I set up my rod and attached the Furled leader onto the ultra fine tip and tied on a #16 parachute fly. About half an hour later after working my way up the river, I had my first take which resulted in a gorgeous 12 inch trout.
I had to work hard for the next fish but lost it very soon after hooking it. About an hour later and this time on an elk hair caddis and I managed to land another beautiful trout.

This River is definably not for the uninitiated or impatient. The fishing can be tough with very few trout but the rewards of landing one make it well worth while pursuing. So far in the section that I have fished (about 1.5km) I have found two pools with trout in. The rest of the river is full of tiny red fin minnows. I did some scouting and found another section that looks more promising which I will try out soon.

One thing is for sure though, fishing with a Tenkara rod is by far the most sun and most effective way to fish a small stream. I love the simplicity of the outfit and how delicately it can present a dry fly. The length of the drifts that you can achieve with the Tenkara rod and leader are simply sublime. Tackling tricky lip currents is so easy with the length of the rod. I am definitely a convert.

May the fish be with you...



Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment