Wednesday 7 August 2013

Quick session at Klein Bottlery lake

Picture
Caught on a carp fritz fly while bubble bashing for carp

I only had about 2 hours to fish today, so headed off to Klein Bottlery lake to try for some bass and carp. The water was quite low, but not as low as usual for this time of the year. I parked the car, changed into my waders and rigged up as quickly as possible and then headed off to the waters edge.

There was another bass angler spinning to my left and a herd of cattle to my right so I decided to walk past him and try in the corner. Fortunately the rain had passed and the wind was not too bad. I had to cast into it but it was manageable. I tied on a chartreuse and white closer minnow and tried for about 15 minutes with no success.. The water was churned up where I was fishing due to the wind.
I then headed off down the one side of the lake. The casting space was limited by very high reeds directly behind me, but I was able to make a 12 to 15 meter cast to the side and in so doing caught two small bass in quick succession,both next to a submerged tracker tire. They fell to the charms of my frizz fry. pattern in white. I made my way further along and came to a section of heavy weed beds. I had seen some large carp jumping in the area and decided to wade out and try to catch one using bubble bashing tactics. Before I waded out I first cast out into the gaps in the weed with the clouser minnow and managed to hook and land a small bass. The water was waist deep.

The wind and lighting conditions where not however ideal for bubble bashing but I tied on a tungsten beaded #6 carp fritz anyway and attached a red and white indicator a meter and a half up the leader. I spent the next half hour casting to feeding bubbles, which where not very easy to spot in the rippled water. I did not hook any carp this time but did manage the biggest bass of the session which snaffled up the carp fritz and then fought very strongly on my 9foot Temple fork outfitters 5 weight rod.
One of the things that I really enjoy about fly fishing is the way that we get to experience nature every time we go out. Swallows where swooping over the water mere meters from where I was wading. A yellow kite was  hunting near by and sacred ibis where standing on the bank close by along with cattle egrets. There where also weavers and bishop birds in the reeds behind me and the inquisitive wag-tales where never far away.
By now there where 3 bass fisherman working the banks. One of them hooked a bass of about a kilo and a half. He seemed very happy and even did the dance of joy. I worked my way back looking for a further bass and eventually hooked and landed two specimens a stones throw away from my car. A black fritz tadpole did the damage.
With the lake being at the level it is now a large carp on fly could be on the cards and I will look out for a windless day to try some more bubble bashing. The largest carp that was landed at this lake was over 20kg... My largest on fly there was  just over 9.5kg. I will be back...

Picture
Cows going for a walk
Picture
The first bass of the day fell for a white frizz fry
Picture
One on a clouser minnow
Picture
A panoramic image of the lake
Picture
The last bass of the day fell for a black fritz tadpole. I used a piece of 9kg nylon and a BB split shot tied in at the head to transform the pattern into a jig style fly

No comments:

Post a Comment