Wednesday 7 August 2013

Winter bass fishing 2013-new lessons learnt...

Picture
I have been out catching bass on fly this winter and have come up with a new very deadly technique. In fact on my last trip, last week I caught 16 bass up to 1.8kg and that in the dead of winter. I try to fish around mid day and after a few days of warmer weather which usually makes the water a little warmer. This is because bass bite better in warmer water. I then use a Di 7 fast sinking fly line, short 1 meter leader and a #8 to 6 booby fly. The fast sinking line drags the buoyant fly down to the bottom, but it fishes just off the bottom. When you strip the fly line, the fly dives and when you stop stripping, it floats back up. I use a medium slow retrieve. Because the bass are often close to the bottom, but suspended above it, the fly ends up being right in their face for a long time and the diving, rising retrieve is often enough to trigger a take. The bass tend to hook themselves because the buoyant fly combined with the short leader and heavy fast sinking fly line makes it harder to eject the booby fly. I offset the hook to one side which aids hooking even more. I also fish my buoyant frizz frog on the fast sinking fly line and this has caught me some bigger bass. Best colours so far are orange, chartreuse and white, and olive and orange. Bass don't eat as much in winter but they still have to eat and smaller flies work better than larger ones. I have caught some excellent bass on this technique in the heat of summer as well. Give it a try and let me know  how you get on...


Picture
My frizz frog
Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment